Sunday, March 2, 2014

Book Review: Things We Set on Fire


   I haven’t done a book review for a while, but this is one that I really want to share. I caught it as a free book for Kindle, and I’m really glad I did. I’d recommend it to anyone:
 Things We Set on Fire By Deborah Reed
   This is a deceptively simple story of a dysfunctional family, still reeling after many years from the loss of their beloved husband and father. In the intervening years, the Vivvie Fenton has grieved and been unable to move on because she lives with a heavy load of guilt, knowing that she’s the one who killed Jackson Fenton.
     The daughters, Kate and Elin, are equally damaged, because they also lost their mother when she became disengaged from life; and their sibling rivalry became so toxic they separated for many years. Unbeknownst to her mother, Kate lived across town in Florida. Elin made a life in Oregon.
    Everything changes when Vivvie is notified by the police that Kate has attempted suicide and the children, Averlee and Quincy, need their family to step in and take care of them. Since Vivvie and Elin didn’t know about the girls, they’re shocked, not to mention nervous about parenting two children they knew nothing about. They assume that Kate overdosed on drugs. Then the secrets begin to come out.
   I checked out reviews on both Amazon and Library Thing and I’m surprised at the wide range of opinion. The Amazon readers liked it; not so much with the Library Thing. I loved it and I would highly recommend it. 

Edited to add back the paragraphing that Blogger somehow deleted. Jeanne







No comments:

Post a Comment