Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Awesome book!

     I just got Leah Day's newest book, 365 Free Motion Quilting Designs, and I am newly impressed. I've been following her blog for some time now, and I have three other of her publications. I have learned so much from her!

     This book, a printed compilation of all her free designs,  is really awesome! First of all, it's beautiful. I love the glossy paper and the photography is first-rate. I thought I was familiar with all the designs, but I was surprised to see several that were new to me, either because I missed them or didn't notice them on my computer screen. And each time I open it, new stitch-outs catch my eye.

     There's something different about seeing those designs in printed form, I think, that I really appreciate. Blowing up some of those designs to 6.25 inches square really makes a statement. The stitch-outs really pop on that glossy paper, and the colors are fun, too. It's hard to believe she doesn't have a stitch regulator; the stitches seem so even and precise.

     I especially like #42, Sea Oats; #55  Wheat in the Wind; #132, Swirling Petals; #186, Swirling Feathers; #301 Root Pockets; and #363 Feather Leaves. Of course, those are just the ones that caught my eye while I was writing this post; there's a lot more eye candy to be seen in this 252-page book. 

     The only quibble I have with the book is I'd like to have them listed by degree of difficulty as well as chronologically (maybe a star system?). She does have such a listing on her website. I understand publishing restraints probably prevented another page, but it would have been nice. On the other hand, I guess if I really want to use a design I should figure out how to do it, probably through practice or by watching the video on her site until I can achieve it.

     I wanted pictures to go with this review, but didn't feel comfortable just taking them from Amazon or her website, so I asked and Leah generously gave me permission to use the pictures in this post.

     I bought through Amazon, and couldn't be happier with my purchase. I would definitely recommend 365 Free Motion Quilting Designs to anyone who wants to improve her free motion quilting. You can get it here  or here.

    Video tutorials for all the designs are available on Leah's web site, www.freemotionproject.com. If you're not familiar with that site, I urge you to visit and see what she has to offer. There's a wealth of information on free motion quilting and it's all FREE!

     She's also running a series of lessons on FMQ that have been comprehensive and enlightening. I haven't been disciplined enough to go through all the exercises, but I've still learned a lot that has improved my work. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

    Leah and her husband also operate an online shop which has merchandise which can help improve your FMQ. Be sure to check it out!

     This review has been pretty "gushy." I hope that doesn't prevent you from checking out Leah's books, site and store. If you want to learn this skill, here's an excellent place to start.




No comments:

Post a Comment