Wednesday, July 18, 2012

WIP July 18

I haven't been getting a lot done in the quilting studio lately, but I have been basting my hexies, which I started July 5th. I have 168 done and expect to do another 400 or so. I started this project with several Hexagon Charm packs from Jo-Anne's (each package has 120 pieces). I picked three different collections and will supplement from my stash if necessary once I decide how far I want to go with this.

I started out with papers from Paper Pieces, because I wanted to be sure that I was using accurate bases. I got a small pack of 1 1/2-inch papers that held 50 pieces. Since then, I've been cutting bingo cards and other heavier papers that come in with my mail. I'd strongly recommend you start with accurate templates. This is a link to where I got mine.

This will be a long-term project because I'm already having hand problems from the handwork. I hope to keep it close by and work on it occasionally, but I will have to limit the basting. I don't want a repeat of the thumb problems I've had before!

Here's what I've learned so far on this project: 1. I need to use the bingo cards from magazines and mailers instead of heavier paper for my pieces. The heavier paper is hurting my hand, while the lighter doesn't. 2. I need to use a darker neutral thread for the basting. The lighter color doesn't show up well and will be harder to remove when the time comes. 3. I'm sure there will be lots more. I'll update.

Besides all that, I have finished the binding on the Safari Brights quilt which Michele quilted for me. I love it! I think I'll hang it in the hallway and replace one that's been on display for several years. I still have another quilt to bind and finish and two more to machine quilt. I want to get these done, but I don't know when I'll be back at it.

I seem to have a hard time going between piecing and quilting. When I'm in one mode or the other, I tend to stay there for a while. I admire those bloggers who seem to jump effortlessly from one project to another while planning a third and quilting a fourth. I guess I'm too old for all that. I tend to work on only one or two projects at a time. The tops pile up until I get the urge to quilt them. When I'm in the FMQ mood, I usually do several.

I'm always dreaming up new projects, but only a few ever see the light of my sewing room. That's the beauty of the Internet, isn't it? We get endless inspiration!

I'm going to link up to Freshly Pieced's WIP Wednesday, hosted this week by Taryn. Check it out. There's always wonderful inspiration there!

3 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous quilt! The thing I've learned from Quilty Blogland the last couple of years is that there are as many styles of doing the work of quilt-making as the people who are doing it. We should never feel awkward about doing things differently from others we watch - if it works for YOU, it is the right approach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how bright and happy your hexies are! It is hard to work on more than a couple of projects at a time. Every once and a while I'll go crazy and start a ton of projects, but I get stressed out and only end up working on one or two anyway! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I should just go with the flow! Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete